Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Rugby Ralph Lauren CLOSED: Tribute to (ONE OF) my favorite yet now deceased stores

You ever have a store when upon crossing its threshold you are transported to a different frame of mind, time, place or day dream? Well for me, one of those stores was Rugby Ralph Lauren.  The younger sibling of the many Ralph Lauren lines, Rugby specialized in collegiate-esque (is that a word) preppy clothing and accessories.  The store was born in 2005 but I didn't know of its existence until I happened to walk past the Manhattan location at 99 University Place by complete chance in 2010.....and from there, our love affair began.

Every season I looked forward to its collection debut inspired by Ivy League preppy-ness, modeled by gorgeous and impossibly perfect looking young ones who by looks alone resembled the very college classmates who barely knew I existed back when I was IN university.  SURE the clothing was expensive and I could only afford to wait  until halfway through the season to purchase them on discount, SURE I'm way past undergraduate college age but I guess the store offered classy, majestic clothing that just reminded me of my happier, carefree college days.  Yes, when I slipped on a Rugby polo and jacket, I felt like I was a Harvard alum when in fact I actually attended Hofstra.

Simply by stepping into the Manhattan and East Hampton locations, I felt much more rich and stately than I actually am.  It was an escape I truly enjoyed.  So imagine my shock and dismay when upon reading my emails this morning this appeared:


CLOSED? CLOSED! I couldn't believe it.  I can't say I didn't see it coming.  I sometimes referred to it as Ralph Lauren's charity brand seeing as though there were more emails announcing sales on clothing and accessories for additional 20 - 70% off ALREADY reduced prices than emails announcing regular prices.  But I didn't know the store was coming to a close.  I didn't get that memo........I shoulda bought the arm warmers I saw in the email they sent last week.  SMH.  Anyway, here are a few of my favorite pieces:

 
This was my first sweater, a present for my birthday.  This is from the men's line but I wanted a sweater with a letter on the front - for some reason I was obsessed with letterman jackets at the time and the women's line no longer had my size.  My favorite part of this sweater is that the factory embroidered my name on the waist so it truly feels special to me.


 
 
I love this sweater but try to limit its use (if there is white or cream clothing or linen around I am SURE to spill something on it).  This is from the women's line and hugs my body better.  Very warm PLUS I look very studious and smart when wearing it (that's always a plus)


 
Though not quite as bright, the first time I set eyes upon this sweater I thought of Harvard Crimson and I had to have it.  I heart this sweater and I carefully store it in my closet like it's the shroud of Turin

 

 

My arm warmers....hmm where do I begin? I originally bought these because I loved how they were styled with various other pieces from the collection the season I purchased these but they've become my lifesavers.  I bought them on sale for about $35 and at the time, I thought it was a bit extravagant for something I didn't expect to use often but let me tell you guys, I use these all of the time.  They come in handy during the winter when I am attending something and I am wearing a coat but short sleeves say a dress with cap sleeves or tank blouse and the sleeves of my coat aren't skin tight (I usually feel the draft coming up my arms).  This has also come in handy when I have parked my car and am walking to a lounge, club or bar do not wish to bring my coat so as to avoid those pesky coat check fees.


 

 
=(  Aww, the gift box.  Whether in store or via mail, all items arrived in a box similar to this one.  I have save 2 or 3 because they make for good sturdy storage.  I would have saved the 2 I threw out last month had I known another would never join my collection again.  =(
 


 
 
So long and farewell Rugby.  I'll miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment